Were you inspired by a mentor as a kid? Now it’s your turn.
Whole Earth Nature School is looking for staff who want to make a positive impact in our area by mentoring students outdoors.
We would love for you to join our community!
We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply, including folks of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, languages, abilities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and ages. We employ staff in several positions and programs, giving employees options to work in administrative roles, at day and overnight camps, and/or Outdoor School programs.
Here are qualities some of our instructors have:
- A desire to connect youth with self, peers, and nature
- An interest in youth development and sensitivity to participants’ life experiences and physical and emotional needs
- A passion for equitable and inclusive approaches to student engagement
- A love of play and an active imagination
- An open mind and a willingness to learn and have new experiences
- A background in nature awareness and wilderness skills
We are committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, & Justice (DEIJ)
Whole Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all students, volunteers, and employees. Some examples of our commitment to DEIJ include:
- using equitable hiring practices like anonymizing identifying applicant information, using rubrics to rate applicants, providing interview questions and formats in advance, and more
- normalizing pronoun use during meetings and programs
- providing needs-based scholarships to students
- offering affinity camps for girls, boys, and gender-diverse campers
- providing DEIJ training to all staff
- committing to implement anti-racist practices
- decolonizing curriculum and amplifying Black, Indigenous, & People of Color (BIPOC) voices and perspectives
- using trauma-informed behavior support strategies
- providing accommodations for students to participate in our programs and staff to lead programs
- evaluating and modifying curriculum, programming, organizational policies and systems to be more just, equitable and inclusive
We thank the Avarna Group and BEETLES project for making materials available to improve our hiring process and workplace, including “Intentional Hiring and Recruitment through the Lens of Equity and Inclusion” and “A Toolkit to Mitigate Bias in Recruitment & Hiring.” We are constantly working to improve policies, systems, and programs. We welcome input from staff, students, and families to be more equitable and inclusive.